Rite of Christian Initiation for Adults (RCIA)
“The rite of Christian initiation presented here is designed for adults who, after hearing the mystery of Christ proclaimed, consciously and freely seek the living God and enter the way of faith and conversion as the Holy Spirit opens their hearts. By God’s help they will be strengthened spiritually during their preparation and at the proper time will receive the sacraments fruitfully.” (RCIA page 2) The journey to the sacraments is different for each individual. The length of time depends on ones commitment to the process.
- Any person 7 years or older
- Registered Member of St. James
The journey for adults:
- Preparation begins with a meeting with the Director of Sacrament Preparation.
- Breaking Open the Word-which is a reflective process where the individuals come together to listen, contemplate and share about the readings from Mass.
- Catechetical: learning the doctrine and traditions of the Catholic Church.
The journey for children:
- Registration through the Faith Formation Office required.
- Minimum of two years of formation where the parent and the child learn together at Family Faith Formation on Monday evenings.
- Breaking Open the Word during Sunday or Saturday Mass.
- Intake Form for Adults /Sacrament Request Form for Children (year of receiving the sacrament)
- Copy of Birth Certificate
- Copy of Photo ID (Adults only)
- Sponsor Eligibility Form/Saint Form